April is Celebrate Diversity Month, an opportunity for each of us to appreciate the perspectives, cultures, and lifestyles that we encounter every day. Diversity is an essential part of tolerance, and tolerance is the key to ending violence.
This month, please celebrate the powerful effects of diversity. Encourage your center to participate in one of the following suggested activities:
- Organize a communitywide a pot luck meal where participants bring in dishes that represent their ethnicity or their favorite ethnic foods.
- Hold an art show, poetry reading, or concert featuring local, diverse artists.
- Host a film festival featuring movies that explore diverse topics and perspectives.
- Display flags in your center representing the heritage of its students.
- Hold a group forum where students present on religions that they previously did not know much about.
- Host a speaker from a local organization that advocates for the rights of a particular minority group.
Be sure to take pictures of your center’s celebration and send them to JobCorpsY2Y@mpf.com.